There has been a house on the site since the 1600’s when Tobias Ewbank purchased the manor from John Child. The land had been forfeited by the last Earl of Westmoreland, who had been found guilty of high treason following the Rising of the North against Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1569.
The gardens were well known even in the late seventeenth century when the Sanderson family owned Egglestone. Through marriage, the estate passed to the Hutchinson and it was William Hutchinson who financed the building of the present house from the proceeds of the lead mining industry in 1816. The design, by Ignatius Bonomi, is an early example of the then fashionable Greek revival style. The entrance lodges were also built in a similar style and the old church was modified.
The house is simply detailed with a series of finely fluted Doric columns to the front portico. Internally there are a variety of decorative plaster cornices and a fine cantilevered timber stair with a brass handrail in the central hall. The old church (there had been a Chapel of Ease on the site since 1539) had its roof stripped off in the late nineteenth century when a larger church was built in the village. The church and its grounds passed into the family’s ownership in the 1990s.